Sunday 2 December 2007

Win XP fatal error: c000021a

While booting windows from my dual booting Mac, I got the following error:

"Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Session manager initialization system process
terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0xc000026c (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down."

I had no other go than shutting down the system. So I was worried, if its my macbook hardware that could be causing these errors. On all my years of Windows experience, I haven't experienced a fatal error that wouldn't even let me login to the system. Anyways, coming back to the point. Some forums gave me a hope that this isn't macbook specific and it has got to do with Windows Hotfixes. Yes, I did loads of them, just last night.

Probable Cause and solution:

So, they suggested me to remove the following Hotfixes.

Very importantly - 890859
Other one I removed, also suggested, was - 891781
Others suggested but not found in my system were 893066 and 893086

I also disabled automatic updates and just enabled notification when there is an update.

Right Click on "My Computer" --> Properties --> Automatic updates tab --> Notification option

Ref link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

How to get in Safe mode in macbook:

Keep pressing F8 while the system boots. You are presented with an option if you would like to get into Safe mode. I did. Used Add/remove Programs. removed the hotfix primarily 890859 (reference link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222)


Did this fix it?

Not 100%. I am able to boot into the system now. But, out of few times I tried, I was successful 50% of times to login to windows and rest times, I was faced with the same error. So, there should be some other fixes that are causing the problems now. At least, I am 50% successful. Rest of the 50%, I would be still trying to fix it.
Will update, once I am.

till laters.....


PS: Ref links:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=45101&start=0
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

No comments: